A) What is an open shift?
An open shift can be created the same way would create a regular shift only it is not assigned to an employee.
Instead when you publish an open shift, Agendrix will send a notification to all available employees matching its position. They can apply on it if interested.
See the following video on how open shifts work.
By default, open shifts must be assigned among volunteers by a manager, but it is possible to remove the need to approve and go on a "First Arrived, First Served basis" ("Settings menu" ➡️ uncheck the box "Open shift must be approved")
B) Viewing the Open Shifts
Open shifts are created in the "Open shifts" line at the top of the scheduler. To see the line, you must check the box "Show open shifts" at the left of the agenda under "Other options".
If you are on a small screen, "other options" will be inside the purple funnel top left of the calendar.
C) Creating an Open Shift
The only difference with a regular shift is that you can create multiple shifts by adding a quantity.
D) Publishing the Open Shift
You must publish the open shift in order for employees to receive a notification. Remember that employees will only receive a notification if:
- They are assigned to the position of the shift
- They are not working during a time overlapping the shift
E) Assigning an Open Shift
Unless the organization settings are set to "First Arrived, First Served basis" (as mentioned above in the intro), you will need to assign the open shift among volunteers.
- Each time employees apply on an open shift you will be notified.
- You will see volunteers directly on the open shift
How to assign
- Click on that shift to open it
- Go in the "Volunteers" tab
- Choose the employee to assign by clicking on his name
- Click on Assign (Orange arrow)
- The employee will be notified immediately
- You can see the impact on weekly hours to avoid overtime-making decisions. (Blue square).
- You can change the ordering of the employees to "seniority" above the employee list.
PS: All employees who have not been assigned will see their app updated and know that the shift has been filled.